Our dentist and team offer comprehensive dental care, and if your child needs orthodontic care to straighten their smile, we can refer you to some excellent orthodontists whom we collaborate with. After an initial orthodontic screening to see if your child requires braces, we will discuss different orthodontic options with you to help your child receive the care they deserve. Learn more about our orthodontic screenings in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona, by calling Kids Klub Pediatric Dentistry at 480-565-6755 and scheduling a visit with Dr. Sara Bukhari.
While many people associate orthodontic treatment with the teenage years, the truth is that your child should receive an initial orthodontic screening no later than age 7. The American Association of Orthodontists® (AAO®) recommends an examination by this age in order to determine if your child requires early treatment and at what age any needed treatments should begin.
Your child’s initial orthodontic evaluation helps our dentist to:
- Diagnose subtle problems with jaw growth and erupting teeth
- Identify developing problems that may not require immediate treatment
- Monitor your child’s growth and development so that we can determine what age would be most appropriate to begin treatment
- Diagnose problems requiring early treatment to prevent more severe damage to your child’s teeth and oral health in the future
- If needed, provide care that will guide jaw growth, correct harmful oral habits, minimize the risk of damage to the teeth, guide permanent teeth into their optimal positions and improve your child’s bite
This initial exam is designed to be comfortable so that your child can develop positive associations with visiting our dentist. During this appointment, we will perform an oral exam as well as an analysis of the bite, oral musculature and any skeletal deformities. X-rays may be taken, and we will discuss any poor oral habits that your child may have. We will then be able to determine whether early treatment is needed.
For more information about your child’s initial orthodontic exam and to schedule an appointment with our dentist, contact our office today.