Are you getting ready for your child’s first dental visit? Our dentist and team have some tips and advice on how to prepare. Read through what Dr. Sara Bukhari has to say, and if you have additional questions about your child’s first dental visit at Kids Klub Pediatric Dentistry in Phoenix and Scottsdale, Arizona, contact us at 480-565-6755 today.
The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends that children visit a dentist to receive an initial dental exam within six months of when their first tooth erupts. These first dental visits are designed to establish a dental home and help your child begin developing positive associations with visiting the dentist.
A typical pediatric dental appointment will include the following:
- The dental team will greet you and your child.
- We will review the health history of your infant and your family.
- Our dentist will ask about your child’s oral habits, pacifier use, diet and general development.
- We will perform a gentle examination of your child’s teeth and gums, during which we will note any teeth that may appear in coming months.
- We will provide advice on brushing, flossing, how to prevent oral injury, fluoride intake and other topics to help you keep your child’s mouth healthy at home.
- We will provide a description of your child’s current oral health in detail and make any needed recommendations about oral habits, toothbrushes and toothpaste, diet, and pacifiers.
- A schedule of regular appointments will be created by our team for your child.
- We will address your questions and concerns.
Remember, if you are calm, your child will feel calm. You can help your child feel happier and more comfortable in the dental office by being positive and calm yourself. You can encourage your child to develop positive associations with visiting the dentist by avoiding threatening language and providing positive explanations about what will happen during the appointment.
If you have any questions about your child’s first dental appointment, please feel free to contact our office.